The hype associated with women handbag and accessories in the fashion industry might make you think that women fashion handbag and accessories are the only things that are been manufactured using exquisite materials. However, these materials are not meant only for women’s enjoyment as men too also have a high-quality and the fashion industry is incorporating fashionable styles suitable for men.
Designers are now paying more attention to the fact that men have a status which they like to show-off as well and what better way to do that than create something which by itself makes bold statements. Exotic materials like the snake skin are mostly used to upgrade the status of fashion accessories and wallets are now the reigning accessories made with such fragile but exotic materials.
When purchasing a snake skin wallet, there are a number of things that are worth considering, to make sure that the wallet you are rocking is actually genuine and authentic.
Familiarize yourself with the different types of snake hides that can be used in making the accessory
There are so many types of snake skins used in making exotic leather items like the wallet and they include the Karung snake hide, the python hide (diamond, Burmese and the short-tail) and sea snake hide to name a few.
All these snake skins have a distinct partner, thickness and softness and even though snake skins can have some few properties in common like flexibility if you pay attention you will be able to tell the difference between two different species.
- The pattern of the scale: - the different types of shapes, the combination of the scales sizes and colour can be used to differentiate between two species of snake skins. For example, the python has very small shaped scales on its skin and the sea snakes have small uniformly shaped scales on their skins and sometimes forming a ring shape (some species). Wallet and other fashion accessories made with fake snake skins when studied closely tend to have repeated patterns and usually look too perfect to be true. Original snake skin patterns don’t have that perfect patterns due to the irregular shapes and sizes of the scales.
- The thickness of the skin: - this is another feature used to differentiate between snake skins. The thickness usually gives it the degree of flexibility, as thin skins are more flexible than the thick ones. This feature plays a major in the durability and at the same time contributes to its delicate nature making most designers restrict themselves to the things they manufacture with it. Mostly the accessories made from snake skins are small like wallets, so when buying larger items make sure you inspect it thoroughly.
The texture of the leather
The texture of unique authentic leather is more sophisticated than what any artificial machine can duplicate. The snake skin has two distinct patterns, one from the belly side and the other from the body. The belly part usually symmetrical with less texture unlike the body that has more scales and as such more texture, and it is this effect that the fake ones try to imitate that make you see two different patterns (although they made a poor job of it).
The latest trend to be adopted by the fake snake skin imitators is that they use a machine with blades to make very shallow cuts that are diagonal in shape to make it seem rough like the real deal but they still can’t get the wrinkles found on original ones which make it easy to spot the difference.
There are so many other factors to consider like, the size of the item made with skin, the softness of the item among others. But since wallets are the main focus, the most important factors have been treated in details above and put together is quite enough to differentiate between the original and fake.
Armed with this knowledge, you rest assured that the next time you want to buy a wallet or any fashion item made of snake skin; it will be a genuine and authentic one.
How to take care of a snake skin wallet
So now that you know how to spot the difference let’s look at how to take care of the snake skin wallet (considering the delicate nature, you don’t want it spoilt anytime soon). Below are some tips on how you can take proper care of your snake skin wallet.
- This delicate exotic leather is sensitive to light, so always try to keep your wallet away from direct sunlight. Frequent exposure to harsh weather; be it hot or cold also affects it causing the skin to dry out. The snake skin is very fragile and requires proper care, so when you buy one you have to go the extra mile to protect it. When you want to store it make sure you wrap it in tissue and kept in a place where air can reach it.
- Cleaning is very important in taking care of your snake skin wallet. To remove dirt or dust, use any soft cloth damped slightly then use to gently remove the stain. Don’t forget – never use soap water to clean the snake skin as this will cause it to dry out.
How to rock your snake skin wallet effectively
Quick recap – you now know how to spot the difference between an original and fake wallet, you now also know how to take care of the wallet, now let’s see how you can effectively rock your new snake skin wallet.
- Take your wallet to places that you feel comfortable in. Show your wallet who the boss is.
- Take full advantage of the material the wallet was made from (snake-skin) and make a bold statement like never before.
- Always make sure that the wallets in never empty, even with your card make it a habit of having some cash in it.
- Always clean your wallet – it is snake skin, give it the care it deserves.
- And never feel bad about spending instead be grateful.
When aiming for making a bold statement without saying anything, very few things can match the snake skin exotic leather. It is as delicate as it is exquisite and a must for every gentleman.